The town of Manokwari is located right on the top of the Bird’s Head Peninsula in Papua. Manokwari stretches around Doreri Bay and is attractively set among low hills dominated by the Arfak mountains to the south.
Manokwari is the town from where Christianity spread in Papua, started by two German missionaries CW Ottow and GG Geissler who landed here on 5 February 1855. The remains of these pioneer missionaries now lie at the Koawi Church under a monument just outside of town on the way towards Pasir Putih. Further down at Pasir Putih, or the White Sand Beach, there is a shallow coral bank where one can go snorkeling and see a variety of reef fishes.
From Jakarta, Surabaya, or Makassar take a flight to Biak and connect to Rendani airport at Manokwari.